Knowledge Base Home Email Features How to Add Google Analytics Tracking to Emails
How to Add Google Analytics Tracking to Emails
If you use Google Analytics on your website, you can track conversions from your Benchmark Email campaigns to purchases on your website. Benchmark can do this automatically for you, giving you a better picture of your email marketing return on investment.
First, you’ll need to have a Google Analytics account, and it will have to be already set up on your site. Once set up you can start tracking conversions.
Here is how to add Google Analytics to your emails:
- Log into your Benchmark Email account
- Create or select a campaign that has not yet been sent.
- In the Email Checklist, scroll down and locate the Link Tracking & Sharing section.
- Turn on Google Analytics by clicking on the Edit option and then enable Google Analytics; by toggling the slider, the toggle should go from gray to blue.
- Customize or use the default campaign name. Save this name as you will need it later to search for it in Google Analytics.
Benchmark will now automatically add a utm_source code to all of your URLs so that Google Analytics can track your email recipients.
Google Analytics has changed to Google Analytics 4. The previous generation of Google Analytics was Universal Analytics. If you set up Google Analytics before October 14, 2020, you are using Google Universal Analytics. You can access the new version from your Google account by following the setup assistant steps.
To view the reports for the website you are tracking, see the steps below.
- Log into your Google Analytics account or Google account.
- On the left navigation column under the category Acquisition, select Campaigns and then All Campaigns.
- Then locate the campaign name you have given your email in Benchmark.
This image shows the Google Universal Analytics platform. If you are already using Google Analytics 4, you will find campaign reports behind the same option (Acquisition). The option names in Google Analytics 4 did not change.
If your campaign is not visible in Google Analytics, you can search for the campaign’s name. Keep in mind the date range in which you are searching for campaigns. Please allow 24-48 hours for Google Analytics to process the data.