Knowledge Base Home General questions How do I sort by domain for email addresses in an Excel file?
How do I sort by domain for email addresses in an Excel file?
To sort email addresses by domain, follow these steps:
- Create a copy of the Excel file.
- Open the copy of the file and click on the column to the right of the column containing the email addresses.
- Right click the column you just highlighted and select Insert. This creates a blank column that you will need later. Repeat this step so that there are two blank columns when you are finished.
- Copy the email ID column and paste it into the first blank column you just created. (This will give you a column to sort while still preserving the original column of addresses.)
- Now click on the column containing the copied email addresses.
- Click Data > Text to Columns.
- Select Delimited and click Next.
- Make sure the only box checked is Other and enter the @ symbol in the box.
- Click Finish.
- A window will pop up asking if you want to replace the contents of the selected cells. Select OK.
Note: The email addresses are now separated into two columns. The first one contains the information before the @ symbol. The second one contains the information after the @ symbol, which is the domain.
- Save the file.
- Click Data > Sort.
- Select the column title you want to sort (the one containing the domains) and select how you want it sorted (for example A – Z).
Did this answer your questions?